Thursday, April 4, 2013

Fire Safety and Prevention - Identifying Potential Electrical Hazards


Electricity is an essential part of our everyday lives. We cannot see, smell and hear electricity but we know about it by means of what it does. It is a source of power for household appliances and industrial machinery. It is a useful form of energy and serves every home, store, farm and factories all throughout the world.
It is appreciated for the benefits it offers us by providing light and opening our eyes to the world of knowledge through television and the internet. But this enormous power can also pose a danger to us and our properties. This is the reason why you must know how to properly use it and be well-informed on the basic techniques of fire prevention of electrical fires. You must also be equipped with fire fighting equipment like an electrical fire extinguisher.
Fires caused by electricity can be prevented by proper determination of potential hazards in your home and workplaces. It is important that you are vigilant enough to notice possible causes of electrical fires. Being alert and eliminating these hazards is the first step in preventing an electrical fire from erupting. Here are some probable risks you can keep an eye on to prevent a fire from erupting.
Appliances
Electrical appliances frequently cause fires. There are two major cause of an appliance fire. One reason is moisture coming in contact with the electrical component of the appliance. Another one is that a combustible material is in close contact with a heat emitted by one of the parts of the appliance. Appliances that have high probability of producing fire through moisture are washing machines, and dishwashers while transformers and heaters can cause ignition with close contact with flammable materials.
Household wirings
Wirings inside the house should be installed and frequently checked by a certified electrician. If you notice that your lights are dimming when you are using an appliance, your clothes iron is not heating well enough, and you have frequently blown fuses then these are signs of inadequate wirings. Immediately have your wirings checked and fixed properly.
Appliance and extension cords
Frayed and worn out appliance and extension cords is a definite fire starter. Have this replaced immediately and do not attempt to use the appliance if it is still not fixed. Also make a habit of pulling on the plug not the cord when disconnecting it from a socket.
Workshop tools
Power tools should be stored in a safe and secure place. It should be kept away from flammable liquids and vapors because of the risk of a fire starting.
Besides putting your best effort of avoiding electrical hazards, there is still a possibility of an electrical fire from happening. Keep an electrical fire extinguisher in a place where the fire can begin and install a smoke detector to alarm you of an impending fire. Remember to never use water to put out a fire caused by electricity. Instead of putting it out, water will only spread electricity in nearby areas and further ignite.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1778050

No comments:

Post a Comment